Saying goodbye

25 Aug

This has been a wild couple of days.  The job of preparing for school is a big one.  I’m feeling MOSTLY ready so that means I’ll spend the next two days working my tailfeathers off.   That’s okay — I knew that when I signed on for the job!  We had lots of staff meetings the last couple of days — most of them reconvinced me that I love this school and the people who work here.  It was a good feeling!

At noon yesterday though, I headed out, let Ruby out for a little air and piddle, ordered some pizza, and headed to the park where my father-in-law’s memorial was.  The workers needed feeding up.  I helped get a few things done.  It was beautiful.  People arrived and there was lots of talking, hugging, and laughter.  Then we got started with the talking part.  The “MC” (for lack of a better term) was a good family friend.  He read a piece that my husband wrote — it was lovely.  Then he wandered the crowd and let people talk and share their memories and feelings about my father-in-law.  It was really nice.  My darling daughter took a turn at the microphone and wowed me (and everyone else there) with her poise and insight.  I sat with Gage on my lap feeling sad and yet blessed.  If you can judge the value of someone’s life by the impact they made on other people, then my father-in-law lived a full and happy life.  Of course, I knew that already.

When it was over, I ran home to let Ruby out again — poor thing.  And, then I came back to my mother-in-law’s house for the continuation of the party with the family.  It was really fun.  By 9:30, my three day headache had gone from simmer to boil.  My kids were starving (despite the vast quantities of food) so I rounded them up and headed home.  We ate a ridiculously late dinner and I bundled them into bed.  I crashed shortly thereafter.  It’s back to “bubbles on the bottom of the pot” now.  I need to aggressively attack it with ibuprofen and decongestant this morning.   Those things — plus getting my classroom ready — will be the best cures!

So, saying goodbye was lovely.  He was a good man and it was a good celebration of his life.


5 Responses to “Saying goodbye”

  1. NatureWoman 25 August, 2007 at 12:39 pm #

    I’m so sorry for you and your family and your mother-in-law about your father-in-law’s death. Good for Ruthie for talking at her Grandpa’s memorial service. She’ll never forget that.

  2. Miz S 25 August, 2007 at 1:31 pm #

    It sounds like a beautiful memorial service. I hope that your mother-in-law is doing okay.

  3. mon@rch 25 August, 2007 at 1:48 pm #

    Saying goodbye can be a very hard thing to do! I am sorry to hear this happened!

  4. mary 25 August, 2007 at 5:24 pm #

    You must have been bursting with pride when Ruthie spoke. I’m so impressed. Your FIL must have been a good man.

    I hope you have time to rest up before getting back to school. You’ll have a wonderful time! The beginning of a school year is so exciting!

  5. jayne 26 August, 2007 at 3:34 am #

    Memorial services should be just like this… a wonderful time to remember all the wonderful ways in which that person touched so many lives. Sounds like it was really special.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: